This workshop includes lunch so you can meet other family business leaders and advisors.
Attracting and compensating family members includes careful consideration of your business strategy and compensation philosophy. Topics such as trends in compensation plan and the design of effective compensation packages will be discussed.
The workshop will:
• Highlight how family members can have differing perspectives and expectations around what is “fair” when it comes to compensation
• Illustrate the need for a formal compensation policy and the role of communication in defining the terms of the policy
• Provide business families with a framework to use in identifying and setting appropriate compensation policies
• Provide financial advisors with a different way of looking at compensation policies by encouraging them to explore their own bias towards setting compensation; helps them embrace both the family and the business approach to addressing the compensation issue
• Simplify the complex and conflicting topic of compensation Presentation format
• Use the 3-circle model to illustrate the complexity and the often conflicting objectives of each circle
• Give examples of effective compensation strategies for each circle
• Review thought starter questions to uncover individual and family philosophies
• Provide real-life scenarios through stories, slide images and short video clips
Presenter/Facilitator: Brent VanParys, CPA, CA, FEA Brent is a Chartered Professional Accountant, a Family Enterprise Advisor, and a Partner ofBDO Canada LLP, operating from the firm’s Norwich and Woodstock offices.
As a regional Practice Leader of BDO Business Transition Services, he provides business transition and exit strategy planning for privately owned and family controlled businesses. He helps business families and stakeholder groups communicate and collaborate to build a betterfuture.
An accomplished speaker, Brent presents at workshops and conferences covering a wide variety of topics of interest to private businesses. He is an experienced moderator, overseeing candidate debates at the federal, provincial and municipal levels. He is currently a Director and the Chair of the Woodstock General Hospital Board of Trust and frequently uses his skills and experience in the service of his community.
Click HERE for Pdf
Registration & Cancellation Policy
The majority of FEX chapter events are open to members at no additional cost as part of their membership, but you must register to attend them. If you must cancel please provide as much advance notice as possible so other members on a waiting list may attend. For paid guests, registration fees will be refunded less a $25 administration fee for event cancellations received 7 days or more prior to an event. If cancelled within 7 days of the event registration fees are non-refundable but you may substitute another attendee.